Bread and Butter Pudding with Berries
Born out of tough times, Bread and Butter pudding was a way to use up stale bread, it is comfort food for a lot of us, easy to cook and packed with memories of Grandma!
Nowadays, we are a little more extravagant and this version will delight first timers and bring back a flood of memories for those who remember grandma’s bread and sultana version!
- 6 Croissants torn to pieces
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- For the custard:
- 2 cups of milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat the cooker to 160°C (320°F). fill an ovenproof dish or 4 individual ramekins with the torn Croissants. Mix the custard ingredients with a whisk and pour over the Croissants.
- Allow the puddings to stand for about 10-15 minutes then sprinkle with the Berries and Brown Sugar before baking. Bake for 30-40 minutes until just golden brown and bubbling.
- Dust with the icing sugar and serve immediately with a jug of fresh cream.